I remember my first 1:1 sessions with engineers. They were stressful!
I worried about...
What to say?
And what they think.
And how to fight silence.
And how not to make this meeting awkward.
And what's so important is to take 1 hour of their time.
My teammates were stressed too - some thought I wanted to fire them (because what's the other reason for talking with them on private 1:1 sessions?)
Today, I'm sure a 1:1 is the most important tool for leaders.
It's a meeting where:
- Forge Personal Bonds: Build a real connection.
- Boost Trust & Safety: Cultivate a safe space.
- Unleash Potential: Help teammates soar.
- Reiterate Support: Show you've got their back.
- Chart the Course: Set clear expectations.
- Competence Growth: Elevate their skills.
- Performance Prep: No surprises at reviews.
- Prepare for More: Get ready for promotions and new roles.
Running your 1:1 sessions isn't an easy thing. Practical Engineering Management is here to help you.
Check the "First Ten 1:1s for Engineering Leaders".
Thanks to this workbook:
- You will feel more confident as an engineering leader and ensure that these sessions are your and your teammates' most valuable time within a week.
- You will build your position in the organization as an influential leader thanks to achieving your goals and growing your teammates.
- You will become an inspiring leader for your teammates, help them perform better, get a promotion, and reach their potential.
- You will build professional and personal relationships with your teammates.